About Me

My Photo
San Francisco, California, United States
Kerouac has nothing on Daisy! So we've decided to take to the open road and chronicle our journey. A girl (okay, a woman, but girl sounds so much better & more interesting, doesn't it?), her dog and a convertible. There's gotta be some stories here, right?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Knitting For Charity

I swear there is a nonprofit in this country to serve every kind of need, and there is also a nonprofit to fit any and all skill sets potential volunteers may be able to share.  To that end, this year, one of my goals is to knit caps for children and adults undergoing chemotherapy.  I'll donate these so called "chemo caps" to Knots of Love, a nonprofit that distributes hand knitted and crocheted caps to patients throughout the country. 

Using Your Hobby

I'm a pretty basic knitter--I love it though and find it to be a huge stress reliever (it also makes me feel less guilty when I'm watching stupid TV if I'm knitting at the same time!).  This year I wanted to improve my knitting and learn how to make hats.  I bought a "how to" book, watched many You Tube videos and this was the result:


As my 11 year old niece Olivia said, "Not bad for a first try."

Yeah, not bad for my first one but not great--so I recently took a knitting class called, "Hats 101."  In just under four hours, I learned how to make a cute, seamless hat; perfect for patients in need. 

Use Your Skills

Do you have a hobby or skill that can be put to use for a nonprofit?  If you're a knitter, there are a ton of places you can donate to and everything is needed--from baby blankets to scarves and everything in between.

If you've ever thought about taking up knitting--I highly recommend it.  It is easy, fun and relaxing.  Many larger craft stores, as well as small, local knitting stores, have basic classes that are very reasonably priced. 

Think about something you do that can help out a nonprofit--from professional services to basic things.  The woman who waxes my eyebrows recently told me she wanted to put together a night where she and her coworkers provide beauty services for women in battered women's shelters and homeless shelters.  I love that idea!  Does it solve all the world's problems or even those women's problems?  Absolutely not.  But is it something fun that can make women in need feel better about themselves and humanity?  Absolutely.  And that is a huge gift.  It is the same with knitting chemo caps; it doesn't take away the awfulness of cancer, but it is a gift from the heart and sometimes that is all we can do. 

What do you do?  Share your ideas; I'd love to hear them and be inspired!

As always, thanks so much for reading and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment